Sometimes I make Irish Stew by substituting hamburger meat. It's something my grandma occasionally did and, although I'm not sure of her reasons, I do it when there's a lack of time or perhaps not a great choice of stew meat at the market. I love making it for a Sunday dinner in the Fall.
I might add that growing up, Irish Stew was just called "Beef Stew". It wasn't until I did an internet search, as an adult, that I learned that beef stew was brown and had no tomato sauce in it. (No wonder canned beef stew was different!) So the following is my recipe for Hamburger Stew. The recipe nearly the same as Irish Stew but there's less work involved.
Hamburger Stew
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or sirloin
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- 4oz tomato sauce
- 15oz can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
- 1lb of frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Method
1 In a large pan, brown ground beef. Drain fat. Add beef stock, tomato sauce, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2 While the meat mixture simmers, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside while meat continues simmering for the remainder of the hour.
3 Add meat mixture to pot of potatoes, carrots and onions. Add frozen veggies. Simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Yield: Serves 6-8.
Happy Cooking!

No comments:
Post a Comment